Review: Cultist Simulator (Steam)
Seize forbidden treasures. Summon alien gods. Feed on your disciples. Cultist Simulator is a game of apocalypse and yearning from Alexis Kennedy, creator of Fallen London and Sunless Sea. Play as a seeker after unholy mysteries, in a 1920s-themed setting of hidden gods and secret histories.
- Nice graphics.
- 275MB Download size.
- Steam achievements.
- Graphics options- Resolution, UI scaling, Graphics quality preset.
- Autosave interval slider.
- Can click on anything for an info pop up window.
- Roguelike narrative card game.
- Feels and plays like a living card game.
- Two game speeds- Normal and fast forward. Can be switched whenever you like.
- Every action triggers a reaction whether it be a new set of cards or another card to play to trigger another card and so on and so on.
- Lore- Everywhere and is sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes helpful to your cause, Sometimes detrimenytal to your goal.
- The feeling you get when things begin to click and you grasp what is going on.
- Upon death your actions dictate what choices you have in terms of your legacy and how your next game will begin/play out.
- Every game is different.
- It is a game that sticks with you l;ong after playing.
- Gameplay- A mission or objective will appear and you need to drop a specific card (if you have one) into it in order for something else to trigger or have that particular event pan out. Its a game that can be hard to describe but seeing it in motion will increase your attention.
- Health- You have health and must play health cards in order to keep your run going. You can lose health from a multiple of events and if you hit zero its game over.
- Every card can be placed where ever you want on the massive board.
- The stories told are a mixed bag but are all very well written.
- Clear UI showing what your health is and cards in play, Timers over cards doing actions and so forth.
- No tutorial at all.
- No idea what is going on, You are very much left to your own devices.
- Confusing at times.
- Very hard to put down.