Review: Fox n Forests (Steam)
FOX n FORESTS is a 16-bit style action platformer with RPG elements! Switch seasons on the fly and wield your crossbow to unveil the mystery of the 5th season.
- Absolutely stunning 16-bit era graphics.
- 393MB Download size.
- Steam achievements.
- Full controller support.
- Four save slots.
- Three difficulties-Easy, Normal and hard.
- World map level select.
- Plenty of collectibles in a level from seeds to open levels to coins.
- Can change the season with a button press. Every level has one main season then you have a second one that you swap. Doing this changes the level drastically, Like trees losing their leaves which may be platforms or ice freezing a river so you can cross it. All this is policed with a man bar.
- Checkpoints aplenty in the level.
- Actions-Double jump, Crossbow, melee, air attack and magic potions.
- Hub-Here you can buy upgrades, Potions and unlock/upgrade your attacks.
- Coins-Currency and used for the shops.
- Action platformer gameplay.
- Levels are surprisingly big with them being a lot more vertical than you expect.
- Easy to pick up and play.
- Retro atmosphere.
- A lot of replayability.
- Can replay levels.
- Beautiful soundtrack.
- Big boss battles that encompass the season change mechanic.
- Gorgeous animations.
- Solid fun.
- Save slot shows game progress.
- Targets-Need to use special arrow abilities and hitting these unlock things in the level like shortcuts.
- No graphics options.
- A lot of replaying levels over and over to find all the seeds in order to progress the game.
- Very familiar story.
- Checkpoints need coins to use them.
- Upgrades require coins but also neccessary collectibles.
- Upgrade attacks are just an incremental thing.
- No clear way to shut the game down.
- You cannot move and shoot.
- Few niggles with the general play like unable to see much of the level around you like are there a level below us? Also, melee is tricky, Hitting enemies is a pain.
- Enemies respawn back far too quickly.