Review: Kirby Battle Royale (Nintendo 3DS)
Compete in a series of hectic multiplayer scuffles for up to four players and master a variety of unique Copy Abilities in a bid to come out on top.
- Chunky graphics.
- 1702 Blocks download size.
- Transfer save from demo and unlock a character.
- Achievements- Has its own in-game.
- Opening tutorial.
- Four game modes- Battle, Online, Story, and training.
- Four control layout switching button layouts.
- Nickname entry. (Can be changed whenever)
- Battle arena brawler gameplay.
- Earn cash from playing and use in the collection to buy music, headgear, characters and abilities and game types.
- Story- Earn LP (league points) to go through the ranks. You take part in various game types and different conditions like 1 vs3 or 1v1 or even you and an AI partner against two AI opponents.
- Each game type has a pre-screen showing what you need to do and is done like a checklist.
- Unlock new abilities from equipping different headgear. For example, wear the beetle hat to enable charging or unlock new weapons like spears or boxing gloves.
- 10 Game types like slam hockey, Collect apples and drop them off or answer simple math questions. In each mode, you can attack the enemy to gain the advantage.
- Feels a lot like a structured Mario Party.
- Multiplayer online- Earn RP (rank points) and level up to earn more coins. Each game players vote on a choice of three events.
- Download play supports so gamers without the game can join in.
- Battle- Local and download play support.
- Amiibo support.
- Training area.
- Shortcuts to Kirby games on the eShop.
- Can bring up the rules.
- Simple controls.
- A lot to unlock.
- Can replay levels.
- Easy to get into.
- Perfect for the younger gamer.
- The story comes with cutscenes.
- Maintains the Kirby humour and atmosphere.
- Some clever game types.
- Touchscreen support.
- Achievements along with their rewards don’t show or count until you quit back to the main menu.
- No 3D implementation.
- The story is slow as you have cutscenes to watch but more the kicked back to the hub, select a game type then click here than there.
- Online is a bit hollow and is only good in short bursts.
- Can be hard to see who is who in the heat of it.