SpeedRunners launches April 19 after 1 million sales in Early Access
Here’s what you can expect on launch day, as written by the fine folks at tinyBuild.
New Game Features
Giving character and story context to each racing event, the single player campaign introduces players to some of the higher-level strategies that might help them compete online. It also expands on core story & personality elements that build the meta.
Players can unlock characters and original comic-books by playing the new Single-Player mode. It solves the problem of anxiety of new players that go directly into online.
Trails & Trail Shop
Our players love SpeedRunners trails. These appear when you hit “terminal velocity” by pulling off slick moves. Good players can maintain the velocity for a long time, and thus want to show off custom trails.
- Purely cosmetic item
- Similar to CS:GO weapon skins
- An in-game editor for building your own trails and particles
We’ve built an editor that allows players to create & sell their own trails. The shop will be heavily curated.
Twitch Betting System
Through Punch Club we learned that streamers love interacting with their audiences and have the audience place bets (virtual currency only) on certain actions. Simple example — will I win or lose?
- When a streamer is broadcasting, he can enable “Betting” within SpeedRunners
- The chat can bet on who is going to win each match
- A meta-game is built around winning or losing through points
- Viewers can spend points by buying in-game modifiers for people (all of a sudden it starts raining rockets, everyone runs 4x faster, the map is mirrored, all weapons are grappling hooks, etc)
There will be an example twitch channel with just bots playing 24/7, where people & streamers can watch, chat and place bets. We expect this to instantly explain the premise, and be fun for players to mess around with.
A brand new cinematic trailer celebrating the world of SpeedRunners and its inhabitants. It will lead into a series of comic books that unlock as you play the game and level-up in online play.
In-Game Comic Books That Tell The Story
- Series of new original comic books that focus on explaining the conflicts between characters & their motivations
- Unlock new comics and characters in-game (by playing it!)
- Inspired by the Team Fortress comics campaign, the characters really get to shine and have a voice in these action-packed back-stories.
MAC & Linux (SteamOS) versions
Linux is already running and has Steam Controller support. On launch day we will have both Mac & Linux versions live on Steam!