Surgeon Simulator 2013 is a darkly humorous over-the-top operation sim game where players become Nigel Burke, a would-be surgeon taking life into his own shaky hands, performing life-saving surgical maneuvers on passive patients.
- Big colourful graphics. Has a Team Fortress vibe about it. Probably the engine used but nevermind.
- Platinum trophy.
- Two control methods, You can use the motion gyro controls within the DS4 or you can use the right stick.
- Left handed option.
- Camera control option usaing the PlayStation camera.
- Main menu is a good practice area, The PC monitor shows you the controls,A few items all over the place can be used to practice picking things up etc. here is also a clipboard which contains the option menu, trophy list and operations selection section.
- The gameplay sees you trying to perform one of many complex operations using just one hand, now the thing is is the hand is only loosely under your control and is quite tricky to control. A strong physics engine will see dropped or kncked tools flailing around.
- HUD shows the patients blood level, hitting vital organs will cause blood loss, BPM which again can be affected by hitting organs. Final thing is a timer that is counting up.
- You can hit needles and become under the influence, The screen will go all distorted and trippy making anything hard to do.
- New surgeries including eye and teeth extractions.
- Unlock crazy new patients like aliens!
- So many different types of surgeries to play and unlock, From simple heart transplants to eye surgeries.
- Fun addictive gameplay in a game that never takes itself seriously and shows off its dark humour throughout.
- Music is very catchy hitting you with a kind of Casualty theme tune remixed with a sci fi show from the 70s.
- Its a surgery sim first and foremost but it has a slight puzzle undertone, Working out which tool to use with which body part is quite the conundrum.
- Could really do with a decent dedicated tutorial, If only to explain the basics and have a few examples of how to pick up items.
- Fun can quickly turn to frustration.
- Tools can fall off the table and cannot be used again, Similarly you can drop tools in hard to reac places.
- Cannot change the camera angle.
- Few graphical glitches like clipping or hand stretching out all funny.
In Summary, I was very hesitant to play the game as Im not a fan of hospitals and surgeries especially, With tha in mind I jumped in and just tried it. I am so glad I did! The game is really good fun and doesnt make me feel queasy at all. The gameplay is varied, and never before has been out of control be so fun. We are getting a free update soon to enable local co op pay which will bring even more fun to the table. So even if your not a fan of surgeries you can still play and enjoy this game.