Review: PixelJunk Shooter Steam Version
In PixelJunk Shooter, you must pilot your spacecraft through a range of cavernous environments in a bid to save the scientists trapped underground. Making your way through the game will rely on your keen sense of observation and the ability to manipulate your surroundings.
- Brilliant HD graphics that look simply excellent up on the big screen. Vibrant colours really make the game pop.
- Full 360 pad support and the best way to play the game.
- Splitscreen offline multiplayer.
- Twin stick shooter with a huge emphasis on physics. With water, lava and mysterious goo all over the levels, You can manipulate and use these against enemies.
- Scores awarded for killing enemies, rescuing trapped survivors and collecting star pick ups. And finding any of the hidden diamonds.
- Secret areas are all over the place and offer great rewards.
- 15 Levels that take place in different areas with each offering new abilities/ enemies for you to tackle.
- Its a shooter first and foremost but also offers a puzzle element as you look to navigate your way through the many levels.
- Big epic boss battles that look and play amazing.
- The music is top notch, with just as much work going into the soundtrack as with the rest of the game. Even the sound effects are fitting and at a high standard.
- Collect 100 stars and recieve a extra life.
- Full online leader board support.
- Full Steam integration with cloud sync, achievements and trading cards.
- Levels are split in game into several little sections.
- On the map screen you can replay any level and each level has a breakdown of how many collectibles you have left to find.
- Dozen or so video options for you to tinker with and game options like in game pop ups and tutorial style messages.
- Many upgrades/abilities can be found within the levels.
- You wont like the game if you dont like shooters.
- The later levels can really ramp up the difficulty and require some degree of skill and luck to finish.
- You must finish all of the level for all collectibles to count, This is only a slight issue later on when the levels are a bit longer and have a few more rooms.
- Game can run a bit slow and doesnt seem to run aswel as it should. You need to tweak the video settings to find the sweet spot but its been a while since I have had to do any of that.
- No YouTube integration like on the console version.
In Summary, The game is brilliant fun and one experience that any shooter fan should seek out. It caused a lot of praise on the PlayStation 3 and the magic seems to have rubbed off onto the PC version. Minus a few little niggles early on, The game is solid and fun. Gameplay is fast and frantic, with leader-boards keeping you coming back for more! But seriously its worth the price just for the soundtrack, Its brilliant and rounds off the package nicely, Go grab the game and have some serious fun!