Review: Worms Revolution Extreme Vita
Worms Revolution Extreme is the latest game in the classic turn-based strategy series to come to the Vita, featuring exciting new features, All DLC and beautiful 3D graphics whilst retaining the classic 2D gameplay that fans love. This is Worms, But on the go!
- Detailed 2D graphics set within a 3D world. The backdrops have a lot of depth to them and look fantastic on the Vita screen.
- Classic Worms game play still in tact with many new additions such as the ability to pick different Worm types. By this I mean you have your base Worms, But you can buy specialty Worms like Scientist, Soldier and heavy. They change the game style by having unique attributes. The heavy for example can take more damage but cannot jump or crawl as fast as the others. The Scout is fast and nimble but has hardly any health.
- Narration is handled by Matt Berry of I.T Crowd fame does an excellent job. Giving players true British humour that never out stays its welcome.
- Tuorial is very good at explaining all the basics whilst letting you try out a handful of the weapons.
- So much customization unlocks in the game. Play the game to earn in game cash to unlock new items for your worms, Buy a new look or accessory for your worm, Change the formation of your team, Choose what set of voices they use. So many options you feel like you created your team.
- Single player campaign spread across many areas from sewers to beaches, Then you have all the previously released DLC packs! Funfair, Medievil and puzzle mode to name a few. You will also have access to quick play and online multiplayer.
- Play against or with PS3 players online.
- Loads of new weapons like the water pistol, A now non jumping sheep bomb. All your favourites are still present and correct.
- Levels now have more environmental and physics based destruction. Magnets will draw mines to them, Water is now in the game and can be used to drown your opponents.
- Treasure mode, where you link your game up with a PlayStation 3 gamer–or vice versa. you can help each other unlock 10 special gifts using a lock and key system. Meet the requirements in either offline Versus or online battles to receive a key and connect to a friend’s PS3 system with the corresponding chest to unlock the treasure! This brings a new nice way of unlocking new content within the game and works really well.
Touchscreen can be used as much or as little as you like. Use it to select weapons or on the menus, Pinch the screen to zoom in or out and scale the map. Responsive and precise, Players will like this new input method. The rear pad can be used.
The gameplay still retains all of its charms and is a joy to play, With such a wealth of content and easy control scheme, The game is excellent for pick up and play.
The definitive version of Worms to date.
- Has cloud/cross save.
Full trophy list including a Platinum Trophy! Means a lot to some gamers so worth a mention.
- If you don’t like worms, Then maybe leave this game alone.
- The higher difficulties are cheap and annoying.
- The move timer can slow the whole pace of the game down especially against AI.
- The opening world, The tutorial is quite a drawn out process, It could of been condensed down into smaller levels. Better still it could of been optional so if you wanted to jump straight in its there.
- Whilst looking around the level with the touch screen it can go a bit array and eratic, Now granted this could be user error.
- Aiming with the analogue stick whilst precise, Is fiddly. To see what I mean try aim up then down then back up again. The reticle usually flips back on its self so your shooting the wrong way.
In Summary, This is the best version of Worms to date. Team 17 have given Vita players all the packs and tools needed to have a right good laugh. With its easy to understand game play and menu structures, New players can easily jump in and play with friends. The Treasure mode is excellent and a trend I hope we see again in future games. The Vita screen has you would expect, Makes the game pop and look lush. Worth every penny and the replay ability is high with this one.