Look lively soldier, grab your gear and fall in line for the biggest, baddest, craziest and most explosive war game to hit your screens and assault your senses. Total Recoil takes arcade shooters to the max; it’s a warmongers delight, packing a deadly arsenal of kick-ass weapons, devastating explosions, mega bosses, and much much more into one dynamite package.
- Nice big bright cartoon graphics.
- Good detailed selection of guns to be unlocked.
- Cheap price point that classes it as a impulse buy.
- Twitter/Facebook integration but not pushed upon you and can be ignored.
- Twin stick shooter with touchscreen controls for artillery strikes.
- Rack up kill multipliers and unlock kill streak rewards a la Call Of duty. These range from air strikes to dropping sentry guns.
- Ongoing side missions with huge variety and unlock new ones as you finish the first.
- Levels have a set wave of enemies to beat and hidden icons to find in order to perfect the level. Level completion is scored by a 3 star grade system.
- Enemy waves have a time limit in which you need to beat them otherwise it wont count as beaten.
- Handy on screen indicators to show enemy locations.
- Earn money from shooting enemies, boxes and getting multipliers.
- Good selection of varied levels and areas to explore.
- There are levels within each area, number of levels can vary.
- Each level has a boss fight and a huge boss fight awaits you at the end of the area.
- You use money to buy new weapons or medi packs or even invincibility. But overall money is best spent on upgrading all your stats such as speed,damage, health and many more.
- Pick ups littered through out the levels. Such as health, guns and invincibility.
- You can pick up and drive a tank for a short period of time.
- You have the choice to replay any level at any time, especially useful when you want to build up your cash or improve your rank.
- You have an overall soldier rank which can be increased by earning stars from completing side and story missions.
- Rank up to unlock better guns to buy. You can use money to upgrade guns and improve their damage etc…
- Survivor missions see you fend off wave after wave of enemies, racking up multipliers and cash. You have a local leader board to keep track of your best score/level.
- Touch screen is used for firing missiles, marking air/kill streak rewards or tap on coins to collect them.
- Slow mo on the final kill in waves gets annoying quickly.
- Tank controls are alien at first but soon grow on you.
- In app purchases, This is here more for the fact that the PSN store part doesn’t work or isn’t live so it just always auto connects and errors out. Even being signed out of PSN doesn’t help as you get a not signed in error. All this does is slow down what is otherwise a fast game.
- Slowdown/Juddering in levels at random times.
- Jungle levels in particular have trees blocking your view. Otherwise in some levels you have bad field of view and at times you cannot see the enemies shooting at you.
- Has a grinding element within where you will need to replay older levels in order to earn cash to upgrade weapons or stats.
- Controls can be awkward at times, especially at the beginning. This is partly due to you having to have access to the D-Pad, touch screen and the sticks.
- More levels and variety is needed as you can soon get bored of the same levels/areas. This is more evident upon playing the survivor mode. All this does is put all the levels within that area in a constant loop.
In Summary, The game is excellent and a great pick up and play game. Yes it has some grinding to it, But to be honest its so much fun it doesn’t really bother you. Its quick and immediate and later levels turn in to proper shooters akin to many old school top down shooters. Replaying levels with new weapons gives you more options in which to attack the level, even find secret areas or pick ups. I’m not a huge fan of the music but the sound effects are a lot better so a few volume option changes fixed that. For the price you do get a lot of bang for your buck. I’ve had more fun with this game than some of the top price titles in recent memory. Do yourself a favour and go buy it and enjoy yourself.