ShootMania: Storm is currently in open beta, inviting gamers of all levels from around the world to have a try at the fast-paced competitive slugfest. The open beta will allow Nadeo to fine-tune and refine the experience thanks to the feedback of the open beta testers, as well as to test servers, and will allow the developers to introduce additional features and possibilities. Several updates are already planned until ShootMania: Storm reaches its final version on April 10, 2013.
- Fast paced game style that is balanced by all players having exactly the same gun and abilities. New weapons will be able to be picked up in game, but you lose them upon death.
- Graphics are bright and colourful with all arenas at the moment taking place outdoors with multiple routes around the battle arena.
- Simple controls with players just needing to jump, shoot and run.
- Game relies on your reflexes more than anything, the ability to predict players movements would be a huge benefit but not essential.
- Loads of customisable options as you come to expect from ManiaPlanet, allowing players to fully customise every aspect of the character.
- Levels can
- Map editor allowing you to create incredible levels and share them with the community.
- Replays can be saved and shared with the community.
- Several game modes including team deathmatch and capture the flag, New ones will come out before full release.
- The game has a Tron meets Quake look about it, from the fast gameplay and bright coloured characters.
- Game can be run on many low spec machines.
- Maps do get samey after a while and dont differ a great deal.
- Players will compare its gameplay and speed to your Quake 3’s and Unreal Tournament.
- Game will be very dependent on user created maps to keep it all interesting.
In summary, ManiPlanet have again given us a heavily community based shooter. It plays well and the speed and balancing will bring new players to the yard. It could do with a lot more maps, But Im sure the community will keep them in supply. For a quick blast, the game is very good. I fear it may not hold a long game session like the racing games. Its worth a look and you can try the beta for free on Steam now.