Review: Gun Commando
Gun Commando is a First Person Shooter with a classic Shoot ’em Up feel, the two genres combining to create a unique and action packed environment. The earth has been invaded by alien forces, and all that stands between the oblivious civilians and their grim fate is you; a war torn commando who lives for covert action. Your deadliest mission yet takes you on a city-wide journey of destruction. Your main goal? Kill every last one of them!
- Excellent comic book style cut scenes portraying you Jack as a badd ass soldier sent in to clear the streets of alien scum.
- Fast gameplay akin to Doom and Duke Nukem, wield your gun and go get some.
- Pixel style graphics in game look great and don’t detract from the brutal game that awaits you.
- Two control methods, touchscreen or the conventional buttons and stick.
- Over 20 levels to play through, each getting progressively harder.
- Big boss battles
- you have a slide button! look cool as you slide up to an enemy and pump em full of lead.
- Unlock new weapons by filling your bar in the top corner, waste bullets and the bar will go down.
- Touchscreen controls can be a little unforgiving and floaty in feeling. For the better experience use the traditional method.
- Game has no check point system so dying mid level, especially later on can be a right pain in the ass.
- First few levels are short and boring, then around level 11 the difficulty ramps right up.
- Gun fights including boss fights usually end in just strafing left and right whilst shooting. Not really forcing you to use your head as it were.
- Score system doesnt really serve any purpose as far as I can see.
In summary, its a nice little title worthy a few blasts every now and then. Duke Nukem and Doom fans will feel at home with its gameplay choices. Soon to get annoyed at a few of its mechanics. For a pixelated shooter played in short bursts it does fill the gap well. For me personally any long period of play made me feel sick. Thats not the games fault, its just something that can effect me in FPS games.